Monday, August 10, 2009

Initial hardware design



Here is an initial diagram of what the tablet could look like. You'll notice a couple of issues:

Webcam placement is still an issue, putting it at the top removes a lot of available screen real estate, so i put it to the side by the grips. The idea being, when the tablet faces you horizontally, the cam is recording from the side, when the tablet is in portrait mode, the cam, naturally, is at the top.

I removed the slope of the tablet. I think rises can be placed on the base of the laptop to improve the slope for easier typing so I want to encourage that in here. It could be a simple push button action, similar to the removable wireless plug.

I am still debating whether the mic/headphone jack should be on the same side as the USB ports. For simple reason most people will want to listen to music while navigating with a mouse and I don't want one to impede on the other. The other issue (note how product design seems to be one solution creating an unexpected problem!) is that if I can turn this tablet on the side (which i should be able to do) the headphone Jack (and USBs!) will now be on the bottom. Which is a bit awkward!

So still a few kinks to iron out, but as I move onto the interface design, hopefully these problems will become solutions.

No comments:

Post a Comment